Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Anima Christi

Anima Christi by Bukas Palad

Music by Fr Jandi Arboleda, SJ

Soul of Christ, sanctify me

Body of Christ, save me

Water from the side of Christ, wash me

Passion of Christ, give me strength

Hear me Jesus, hide me in Thy wounds

That I may never leave Thy side

From all the evil that surrounds me, defend me

And when the call of death arrives, bid me come to Thee

That I may praise Thee with Thy saints forever...


Based on one of St. Ignatius' favorite prayers, a prayer that Jandi learned in preparation for First Communion in second grade at the Ateneo Grade School. However, when he memorized the prayer as he was growing up, he inadvertently missed one line from the original prayer: Blood of Christ, inebriate me. Thus when he set the prayer to music in his sophomore year in college, that one line was not included. Efforts were made by others, including Jandi to insert that one line in accordance with tradition. But somehow, they all proved futile. This is how the prayer has been sung since.source: Bukas Palad

(Maria Jose)


When I was young I thought this song was composed by St Thomas Aquinas because I saw it in his novena. Then, I saw it again at a Jesuit prayerbook. My Atenean friend said it was St. Ignatius de Loyola who wrote it. Actually, the authorship is unknown although it is credited now to Pope John XXII.

It is memorable to me because it was the last song I taught to my students in FHMS Malolos. Teacher Aladin and I almost canceled it because we just taught it a day before the culminating activity. But the "Holy Spirit did His stuff" - as Teacher Aladin puts it - and it went well.

They sang it at the Culminating Activity without me, because I had to attend my daughter's "graduation".

One of my favorite songs even when I was in the choir. It's like..."We don't have a Communion Song". "Where's Fr. Perez?" (God rest his soul. He does not approve us singing this song apart from the Lenten season. Understandable.) "Not here." "Okay, we sing Anima".

Good ol'days.


No comments: